Hairspray UK Tour 2017
Hairspray’s musical is based on the 1988 film by John Waters: Hairspray. The 1960s dance and music has ignited crowds from across the world. The show is now making it’s stop in the United Kingdom for the fourth time.
Production first began in 2002, with the show making stops in Seattle and Broadway before tours began. Tours have brought the musical through the United States, Toronto, Brazil, Canada and back to the United Kingdom on several occasions.
The original production in the UK was a West End production at the Shaftesbury Theatre. The show lasted for more than two and a half years and surpassed the 1,000-performance mark.
Hairspray the Musical follows Tracy Turnblad, a girl with big everything: hair, heart and body. She is inspired to follow her dreams, and she sets out to make it to television through dancing. She becomes a local star and provides an irresistible story where she ends in the arms of a local heartthrob named Link Larkin.
The cast of the tour bring the stage to life with several big personalities, including:
- Matt Rixon who plays Edna Turnblad. Matt’s wealth of experience on the stage brings the night to life. He has played in several big productions, including: Cinderella, The Ladykillers, Merlin, Aladdin and dozens of others.
- Norman Pace plays Wilbur Turnblad. Pace is known for being part of Hale & Pace, the comedy duo. He brings his experience in comedy to the stage along with his years in television.
- Rebecca Mendoza plays the key role of Tracy Turnblad. Mendoza was trained in Italy, and she recently graduated with a diploma in Musical Theatre. A month later, she is starring in Hairspray in her professional debut.
- Edward Chitticks plays the heartthrob Link Larkin. Larkin is also a newcomer, but he has played the role Bill Poster in Ensemble and Eddie in Mamma Mia.
- Gina Murray plays Velma Von Tussle. Gina has been a lead lady six times in her career and is coming off of her role as Mama Morton in Chicago. Her long resume includes several performances in television shows along with features in major films, including Sorted.
- Layton Williams plays the role of Seaweed. A seasoned talent, he began his career at age 12 and has been in several shows, including playing a young Michael Jackson in Thriller Live.
Hairspray has shows scheduled through June 2018 in the United Kingdom with numerous shows being held at each venue.